03 January 2008

Dennis the Menace

A lot has happened the past few weeks, that I just cant seem to keep up with all of it. Well as I said in earlier posts...Porter is now mobile! I was not excited at all that he can now get himself into lots of trouble. I am glad that he is growing and developing, but it makes me so sad that my baby is no longer a baby! He is turning into a little boy! He is starting to thin out too...how sad is that? All his baby chub is starting to deteriorate and he is looking like a little boy more and more every day. Porter has only been "crawling" for a week...and its more of a scary movie possesed baby army scoot thing. It looks really funny when he sets his eyes on something that he wants and he goes as fast as he can to get it. But in the past few days here is the type of trouble that Porter has managed to get into......

1. He has an obession of a chain hanging from the sliding glass door so he ALWAYS makes his way over there to chew on it.

2. Shiny things seems to catch his attention, so I have come to the conclusion that Rex needs a new doggie bowl. The one he has now is stainless steel, and boy does it shine. Because Porter often makes his way over there and takes the bowl out and starts to bang. Luckily there hasnt been any food in there for him to try. But by the end of this post you will know that he isnt a very picky eater!!!!! Time to move the dog food!

3. We have a doggie door and Kameron drilled the hole for the security latch thing in the wrong place, so if the bolt is in, there is a small gap where air or bugs can crawl through, so for the time being we have a wooden stick/pole thing wedged in the bottom of the frame to keep the door from sliding open. Porter has figured out how to take the stick out and start swinging! Maybe we have a little baseball player on his hands!



4. Almost knock himself out by pushing over a small table in the corner of our living room that holds a lamp, and a large GLASS vase with a lot of very heavy ROCKS inside. That would have left a mark had it fallen completely off. Good thing he pushed it towards the wall. For the time being we have a large tub blocking his way to that table to prevent injury!


5. Porter I think takes after his dad because he LOVES the kitchen...and the bathroom. haha. I think he can move faster on the slippery floor rather than the carpet! I was making dinner last night and he made his way into the kitchen and before I knew it...he was chewing on and playing in the fridge! My fault I left the door open. But it probably felt good on his teeth!


6. His super smart little mind has learned how to open cabinets, drawers, and doors. No he cant open doors if they are closed completely, but he knows that if he pushes them (I hardly ever compeltely close any door...I'm working on that) they will open and there is most likely something in there that I dont want him to have....which I think makes it all the more exciting for him.

7. You know the little door stoppers they put on the baseboard to protect your walls that are like springy little things? Well Porter has taken a liking to them. I heard the "booiiinnngg" noise of him flicking back and forth in the office while I was emailing Kameron, and to prevent his chocking on the little cap on the end I unscrewed it out of the wall. A few minuts later he had made it into the hall way...and "bbbooiiinngg" I hear it again, but with the closet door stopper. I proceed to unscrew that one. Not a few minutes later I hear that same noise from the pantry door stopper right at the end of the hall....I think you catch my drift. Well we must be very careful opening our doors because we dont have anymore of those little stoppers within his reach!!!


8. And last but not least, this morning I was going through all his clothes boxing up the ones that dont fit him or have yet to fit him to make myself more organized. He was playing on the floor in our bedroom (I was sitting right there mind you) and I did a quick scan of things on the floor he cant have. I picked up my church books, and some yarn that I found that I know he would eat...but I seemed to miss one very important thing!!!! From across the room I see him narrow in on something but from where I was sitting..I couldnt see anything on the carpet. We have a pretty warm brown carpet that I love, but in this case it didnt help me. When he went to put something in his mouth I knew he had found something. So I run over there to take it out...and he was fighting to let me have it. Well I finally got it out of his mouth and IT WAS A CRICKET!!!!!!!!! YUCK!!! I wanted to throw up. It was the grossest thing I had ever seen. He didnt seem to mind the taste at all. It was already dead so he must have enjoyed the crunch. Luckily I got it out before he could swallow. I knew kids ate bugs when they are little...but I didnt think THIS little I would have to worry about it. Needless to say I will be having Kameron call an exterminator so we can rid of any pesky little snacks Porter decides he wants to eat.

I promise, I really do watch him during the day. But I do have to use the restroom, or wash some dishes, fold laundry, or put laundry in. Its when I take my eye off of him for even a second...that he makes his move! I definately have my hands full with this goofy little boy, but he is SO fun and seriously has the cutest personality. We just love him to pieces and I can only imagine what fun it will be when he starts talking. Because judging from all his goofy faces...he is going to be a character!!

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow, a cricket! Yuck! He is really into everything.

Spencer and Marlee said...

I love it! He is so cute! What better protein! Love you G hope to see you sooner than later!

Giselle said...

LOL, those stories are too funny! Get ready Gina...I don't care what anyone says, boys are WAY harder! At least when they're little. They get into EVERYTHING and are way more mobile and destructive. It's loads of fun :)~ That little guy will definitely keep you busy!

Matt and Jayna said...

I bet Porter is so happy he figured out how to crawl now! It's amazing the things kids get into. We too, have no more door stopper thingy's. I found one of those black bugs in Shaylin's mouth once when she was little, but a cricket IS gross!

Melissa said...

I'm not looking forward to baby proofing my house. However, I think it will be kind of fun to see what kind of mischief Tate will get into. Sounds like Porter is getting to be a little rascal. Crickets???? gross. At least it wasn't a cockroach. For some reason I think those are 500x grosser than crickets. I'm sad that I missed you in Casa Grande a few weeks back, and on new year's eve. Did you get to see Mary Anne? For future my # is (480) 204-1820. Happy new year!

Anonymous said...

OH my gosh I am still laughing. That is so funny! I can't believe he was trying to snack on a cricket. And it is funny cause I know Madden would do the same thing if he had the chance. Oh and the door stopper things, Madden has taken off pretty much every single one in our entire house- so we had to go buy those bubble looking ones that stick to the wall. Haha... I wonder what kind of trouble our two boys could get into together. =) Man I wish we could go up north with you guys!

Anonymous said...

Gina, porter is just so cute. Ok so I am coming here to tell you about a contest my friend is doing. She gives away a pair of Designer earings every other month, Im talking Eva Longoria (sp?)wears her earings. Anyhow, go to her website and look up her contest, I added myself to the contest, but I thought you have a lot of blog friends so you might be able to get some more traffic on my friends website. check it out. jschomaker.blogspot.com. Good Luck! By the way it is the Jan 5th post!

Melly Mel said...

Oh my goodness Gina! He is so adorable. I love how happy he is. He really is busy. I think that army crawl is so much fun but you are totally right, once they are mobile, your life changes. You are a wonderful mommy! I'm so glad you have this blog. Whenever I start missing you guys, you're just a click away :) Love you guys!
Melissa and Jack

Cara said...

Gina I laughed so hard when I read this blog. I had to let Justin read it. Well actually I think I just told him that Porter was trying to eat the cricket. :) Man before you know it Ryken is going to be in to the same stuff here at our place.

Mary Anne said...

oh boy oh boy...eating crikets at eight months. Yummy! he'll probably serve a mission in africa and he's just preparing himself. Who are you to prevent that? HA! It was so good to see you guys over Christmas break...it had been far too long!

Mary Anne said...

i know i can say "sex" but not everyone calls it that! i know, i debated, i'm just a chicken...