07 October 2010

Down to ONE!!

As I am sure many of you who keep up on my blog know, I
have been battling Porter in the Bathroom. For over a year, I have attempted a hand full of times to get this kid out of diapers.
For 18 months, I have had two kids is diapers, and havent gone
a day in the past 3 1/2 years without buying diapers. Well I
am proud to finally say...I now only have ONE
kid in diapers.

Anastyn is now potty trained.


Okay, so I am totally kidding, I have finally out suborned
Porter! Despite the many failed attempts, I am proud to
say that he is now a Big Boy!! We still have our poo
accidents in the underwear here and there, but he has been
dry for a week now. He has mastered the pee-pee. Makes
a momma proud!!


Here is how it happened. Last Tuesday I spoke with a
good friend of mine, who took a class on Potty Training, and
had learned a new technique and was trying it on her son, and
so far had been having success. So weds morning...I jumped
on the band wagon and gave it a whirl. And I am
so glad I did!!

Basically, I fed the child a LARGE breakfast waited a half
hour, and then put him naked in the bathroom and said
he couldnt come out until he pooped on the toilet. It
sounds a little drastic, but you know what...it worked like
a charm. I have had a few people (who I will be honest
and say I dont care about their opinion in the first place)
say how horrible this was. But its not like I chained Porter
to the toilet and held him at gun point. He was playing,
reading books, singing songs, having snacks, and all
that good stuff. Was all this in the bathroom...yes. But
Kameron and I were BOTH in and out of the bathroom WITH
him all morning long. Yes, I said ALL morning long. It was
2:15 and he finally pooped. WOW, did we do the potty dance
and did he get praised. Then we wore underwear the rest of
the day. He did pee all over the place, but it
was a start.

Day 2, began and went the same way. Breakfast, play for half
an hour, and into the bathroom until he pooped. This time it
only took 2 hours before he came running out with excitement.
The rest of the day he wore big boy underwear, had a
couple pee accidents, but again...we were
making progress.

Day 3, again...repeat the process. And you know what? It only
took him 10 MINUTES before he ran out with the news
that he had pooped on the toilet. Are you kidding me? Talk
about major progress in just a couple short days. The rest
of the day (friday) he wore big boy underwear and did not
have even ONE accident. At this point he hadnt had a dry
night, which we were working on. But that afternoon
we drove from Sierra Vista to Casa Grande, with a few stops.
But he didnt pee the entire trip. I thought he would
have a soggy pull up by the time we got there, but
he was dry as a bone and peed when we went to
dinner. Talk about a PROUD Mommy!

Saturday morning Day 4, he woke up DRY!!! WOOHOO!
We did the silent Potty Dance because people were
sleeping, but he earned himself a Frizzoni from QT! The rest
of the weekend he only had 1 pee accident, and one poo
accident. And if I had been paying closer attention...I could
have probably avoided that.

This week since we have been home I was worried that he
wouldnt use the restroom without me reminding him...however,
he now goes when he needs to and I dont even know half the
time. I will ask him to go, and he will reply, "I just did!" I
am so proud of how well he has been doing. Not one
accident this week, aside from the poo....that is still
a work in progress.

Although the measure I went to get this kid potty trained,
I think it was well worth it. The comments I have received
(from just a couple people) regarding it being "mean",
mean nothing to me since I now know that I did what I
felt was best for my child. He is a tough kid to learn
things, but you know what...I always seem to get him
there. If my kids are happy and content, which
they are, then I dont think I am doing
too bad of a job.

I know that this idea wont work on every kid, but it sure
did the trick on mine. I am so grateful to be the mother
of this strong willed child. Even though he is hard headed
when it comes to certain things, he is the sweetest kid I know.
He has such a pure heart, and kind spirit. Porter has an energy
about him that draws people to him, and they automatically
love him. Its one of the many wonderful qualities
he inherited from his Daddy.

Mommy is SOO proud of you Porter Monster. I knew you
could do it. Even when you said you couldnt, Mommy still
believed in you, and all it took you was 3 DAYS, and you are
now a big boy! I love you, thanks for being
such a wonderful Son!

P.s. I didnt take any pictures, which I am sad about...however, I
think Porter will be grateful for in the future! =)

5 comments:

Candace and Brian said...

Way to go Porter. That is always such a HUGE relief. Such a terrible thing to get through but so rewarding when it happens. I'm with you....if it works, it works! BTW loved the hunting post and laughed about the antlers on the car. You would fit right in down here!

Mary Anne said...

YAY! What a breath of fresh air...literally! And hey you just do what works for YOU and YOUR KID because they are all a different story. That was one of my huge motivators for training Sadie before...I just hated having two in diapers. Too bad that didn't last :) We did good for a while but she is back is diapers now! One day...

Martin Family said...

Gina
I think for Porter you did the right thing. Not every kid would respond well to it. Some people are willing to wait until their children want it. I like you am not willing to do that. Some think cold showers is less cruel, then making them stay in the bathroom. I think whatever works for mom and kids! You never would have done it had it been tourcher for Porter because it then would have been so for you as well. I am so proud of Porter!! Hopefully Anastyn will potty train herself in 6 months or so! Ha ha !!! I am hoping that for Morgyn!!! So she can potty train before I have this baby! Miss you like Nuts! Hope to see you soon!!!!!
-- LOves and Kisses
--Kara

Krystin said...

YAY!! I'm doing the potty dance for you :) Some people just DON"T understand what too much poop can do to a mother.... we will do almost anything to not change diapers!!

Kacy said...

Hallelujah!! So happy for you. Good job Porter!